Sunday, November 14, 2010

acorns?....seriously??

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love our two oak trees but...c'mon. We're swimming in acorns. Some years one tree explodes with acorns, some years the other but this year both have dropped so many it's like a carpet.

I'm still trying to find the best way to pick them up. So far we've raked them in piles and loaded them into buckets. And then what do we do with them?
Thanks to the folks at Country Living magazine I found a new option for our overflowing bounty. My daughter will love making these acorn necklaces sprayed with gold paint. I wonder how long these will last? We could make thousands of them!

I couldn't let fall pass by without including a photo of the burst of color in our backyard. We have two of these burning bushes and they're so large, it's all you can do to not notice them. If only we could find a way to preserve these gorgeous leaves for the rest of the year.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michele, In our old house we had an acorn tree right over the skylights and you talk about a racket in the fall...ah yay yay! I picked up some of the biggest fattest acorns the other day from a friend's home that I have ever seen. I saw that article too in Country Living but I just put my acorns in a bird nest. :) I notice the wild holly trees are full of berries this Fall. Between that and all the acorns I hope it's not nature's way of telling us a very harsh winter is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't imagine that many acorns. Your neighborhood squirrels must be busy.
    love, mom

    ReplyDelete